And that’s how you do it, chicos, said the old man.
Our World Tuesday is a very cool meme, and it is here!
Weekend in black and white: gone fishing
It is the weekend, and I might do just this… Ah, who am I kidding, I wont have the time to do it!
Don’t you sometimes wish you could just go fishing, instead of going to work or to school?
Watery Wednesday, right here.
Nice thing to do on a weekend. Or on a week day. You know, instead of going to the office…
That’s the way it’s done, boys!
Incidentally, I learned yesterday that in what once was one of the biggest fishing port in the Med, there are only 45 working fishing boats left in Barcelona, barely making a living, and often coming back empty. Shame.
Our World Tuesday,right now, right here!
Cod. Extremely popular in Spain and Portugal. Literally thousands of recipes. Here is a Catalan one, which I will try soon:
Catalan fish stew
6 tbsp olive oil
1 large Spanish onion, chopped
2 fennel bulbs, chopped
150g/5oz chorizo, diced
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp fennel seeds, ground
2 cloves new season garlic, crushed
½tsp sweet paprika powder
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp saffron strands (optional)
3 fresh bay leaves
1 tin plum tomatoes
100ml/3½ fl oz fish stock or water
150ml/5 fl oz white wine
500g/1 lb 2oz mussels, cleaned
650g/1 lb 7 oz firm white fish (bream, pollock, cod, monkfish), filleted, dredged in flour and fried in olive oil
100g/3½ oz toasted almonds, ground
- To serve
1 lemon, cut into wedges
steamed potatoes and spring greens
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and sauté the onions, fennel, diced chorizo, chilli, ground fennel seeds and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add the paprika, thyme, saffron, bay leaves and tomatoes and cook until reduced to a thickish sauce.
- Add the fish stock (or water) and white wine and bring to a simmer.
- Add the cooked mussels and cook until they are all open. Discard any that have not opened.
- Put the fish pieces into the stew and stir in the almonds.
- Heat for a minute or two and serve with seasonal greens, steamed potatoes and wedges of lemon.
Going fishing…. On this:
My World Tuesday, right here!
Other news… I (that’s Rob) turned 50 yesterday, Monday. That makes me officially what they call in French a ‘quinquagenaire’. Oh well.
You must be logged in to post a comment.